Change Raspberry Pi lost password
Too much on a hurry when I choose my Raspberry Pi password, and I wrongly noted it. There is a way to reset the pi user password.
- Insert the card in your Mac SD card reader (must work on Window too);
- Edit the file “cmdline.txt” and append “init=/bin/sh” (thanks Joe Schmoe). The Rpi will boot in single user mode;
- Insert the card in the RPi again and boot up;
- When prompt available, enter “su” to log as root (with no password);
- Type “passwd pi” and enter a new password;
- Remember the new password;
- Remove the appended string in the “cmdfile.txt” file. Voila!
If you need a password for the root and you don’t have it either, edit the “/etc/shadow” file and replace the root password with a asterisk. Then it will be no password for the root user. (not tested yet).